Connect
To Top

Alonso denies any role in McLaren management changes

"I just drive cars," was Fernando Alonso's response when asked if he had played a role in McLaren's leadership changes which were announced on Wednesday.

The Woking-based outfit has parted ways with racing director Eric Boullier and promoted Andrea Stella – who previously worked with Alonso at Ferrari – to performance director.

Furthermore, McLaren's chief operating officer Simon Roberts will oversee production, engineering and logistics.

Alonso discarded the notion that he had anything to do with the team's reshuffling, insisting he had not been consulted by McLaren boss Zak Brown.

“If Zak thinks that there are other people now doing different jobs in the team, it’s because he thinks that’s the best thing to do," said the Spaniard.

“I trust 100% Zak, I trusted 100% Eric, I trust always the bosses because they are the ones that have all the information.”

"I wasn’t consulted, I was informed about all the changes and all the new possibilities, as Stoffel had been informed.

"Obviously I had more experience with Andrea than Zak, who has only known Andrea for one year long.

"He wanted my opinion and how I see also Gil. But obviously he knows Gil for 20 years and I know Gil for one year so he knows much more than me in terms of what possibilities and what scenarios may make Gil come into play," he added.

“I fully trust whatever decision and just moving forward the most important thing is to improve the car and to be more competitive and hopefully from this weekend we’ll see a step forward."

Alonso genuinely appeared sorry to see Boullier go, and paid tribute to the Frenchman's efforts.

"I think we have to say thanks for all the effort and all the years here," said Alonso.

"His decision was to leave and I’m sure that the team will move forward in the best possibilities and we will keep moving forward."



Comments

comments

More in Motorsport

Copyright © allsportsintheworld.com