Reported Liverpool target Julian Brandt has clarified his future by penning a new deal to stay at Bayer Leverkusen until 2021.
The forward has been the subject of constant links with a move to the Premier League, however he has now poured cold water on speculation by penning a new three-year deal.
A statement on Bayer’s official website read: “Julian stays! Bayer 04 has extended the contract of Julian Brandt prematurely and set a statement with the continuing obligation of the much-courted German national team player.
“Brandt signed a contract valid until June 30, 2021, which will continue the cooperation originally scheduled until 2019.
“With this deal, we were able to convince one of the most sought-after German players to go on the same path with us,” says Bayer 04 CEO Michael Schade.
German journalist Raphael Honigstein has claimed that Mo Salah was not Klopp’s top Liverpool target back in the summer.
Instead, he wanted Brandt, but Reds sporting director Michael Edwards intervened in the matter.
“Michael Edwards had been getting a lot of criticism in Liverpool for some of the decisions they’ve made over the last few years,” Honigstein told the Totally Football Show podcast.
“This is one where Klopp has just stepped aside and said, ‘I didn’t really want Salah, but he convinced me to take him.’
“They were going for Julian Brandt, who’s very talented, but it’s inconceivable to think what the season would have looked like if it had been Brandt instead of Salah, because Brandt has been OK but hasn’t turned into one of the best strikers overnight the way that Salah has.”