A home win, albeit a nervy one late on, keeps Chelsea well-placed when it comes to finishing in a Champions League qualifying position come next May.
Following the narrow in we`ve cobbled together a few fascinating facts for you to mull over:
• Marco Alonso continues to deliver the goods as an attacking threat. The Spaniard has been involved in 14 goals for Chelsea this season, a figure no other defender can match.
• Alonso has had 34 shots for Chelsea this season, a figure only Alvaro Morata, with 49 can beat.
• The 1-0 win means that Southampton have only kept 1 clean-sheet in 25 Premier League games against Chelsea.
• When it comes to playing reigning champions, Southampton invariably perform poorly, in 41 visits to the home of the champions, Southampton have won on just 2 occasions, Leeds in 1970 and Chelsea in 2015.
• Since the last of the 2016 / 2017 season, Chelsea have scored from 7 direct free-kicks, no other Premier League side can match that figure.